Fasten your seatbelts, parents! Your child is gearing up for the pivotal journey of 5th grade, the ultimate test drive before hitting the speedway of middle school. This year will mark a crucial time of preparation for the academic rigors, the change of class structure, and the unique social-emotional experiences that accompany middle school.
You want your child to cross the 5th grade finish line with a victory lap. But have you considered whether their current school is the best environment to prepare them for the level of success you hope they will achieve in middle school?
Imagine for a moment your child attending a school with seven decades of proven results, where they could learn at least one year ahead of their grade level. Imagine a vibrant environment where instruction is delivered by qualified, caring teachers who balance intellectual as well as social-emotional growth. Imagine a place where your student can explore their budding talents and discover new interests through multiple enrichment opportunities.
Imagine your fifth grader at Fairmont Schools!
- Individualized Instruction – Students are assessed multiple times a year and their curriculum is tailored to meet them where they are – from the highest achiever to the late bloomer.
- Accelerated Curriculum with Honors-level Courses – Ability grouping and special programs for acceleration or remediation enable students to work, on average, at least one year ahead of their grade level. For example, a mathematically gifted student can study pre-algebra in 5th grade!
- Class Sizes – A low student-to-teacher ratio allows children to get the personal attention they need (and deserve!).
- Specialty Classes – Fifth graders benefit from weekly enrichment classes – Art, Computer Lab, Library, Music, Physical Education, Science & STEM Lab, and Spanish or Mandarin – all taught by teachers who are specialists in these areas.
- Learning Beyond the Classroom – Students attend a 3-day, 2-night marine science program on Catalina Island where they expand their STEM knowledge while growing in independence. They also take part in day-long field trips over the course of the year which provide experiential learning that reinforces what they are doing in the classroom.
- Athletic Opportunities – Fairmont’s athletic program is designed for athletes of all levels and encourages competition, while simultaneously building lifelong values of teamwork, sportsmanship, perseverance, and integrity. Students compete against other schools, setting the stage for those who want to continue into middle school athletics.
Sounds fantastic, doesn’t it? Still, you may have some concerns about changing schools at this stage of your child’s education. That’s understandable. But you might be surprised to learn that there are actually some wonderful opportunities for growth that accompany moving to a new school for fifth grade:
- Adaptability – The process of adjusting to a new environment encourages students to become more adaptable and flexible, skills that will serve them well throughout life.
- Problem-solving Skills – Students might face some challenges when changing schools, from navigating a new campus to understanding different academic expectations. Overcoming these hurdles can improve their problem-solving skills.
- Social Skills – Making new friends and interacting with a new set of teachers can enhance a student’s social skills, such as collaboration, conflict resolution, and relationship-building. What better time to hone these competencies than before they encounter the social-emotional dynamics of middle school?
- Independence – Moving schools often means learning to navigate a new system independently, promoting self-reliance and autonomy which can help build self-confidence.
- Empathy – Being in a new environment with different people can help students develop empathy as they meet peers from various backgrounds and learn to understand different perspectives.
All of this leads to developing a solid growth mindset, building the foundation of both hard and soft skills that lead to success as a student and in the wider world.
Are you ready to imagine your fifth grader at Fairmont Schools? We invite you to schedule a campus tour! Contact Jennie Han at email@example.com or schedule an appointment on her calendar. We can’t wait to meet you!