Fairmont was made for bright futures, like yours!
Thank you for your interest in the Fairmont San Juan Capistrano Merit Scholarship Competition. We are excited to introduce you to our award-winning school and for us to learn more about YOU! And we hope you will decide that Fairmont is the perfect place for you to take your learning to new heights.
About the SJC Merit Scholarship
Fairmont San Juan Capistrano is pleased to offer merit-based scholarship opportunities to newly-enrolling* students entering grades 6-9. These scholarships are not based on financial need. Instead, they are awarded to qualified applicants who demonstrate the potential to make a significant contribution to the school through excellence in academics, leadership, co-curricular activities, and service.
While scholarships do not roll over from year to year, recipients are welcome to reapply in subsequent years for the life of the program. All scholarship awards must be applied to Fairmont tuition for the 2020/21 school year.
Scholarships to Be Awarded for the 2020-2021 School Year
- 1st Place – $5,000 (2 recipients)
- 2nd Place – $2,500 (3 recipients)
- “Welcome to Fairmont” Award – $1,000 (Awarded to the first 25 newly-enrolling students who apply for the scholarship program and take part in the August 4 competition. Currently-enrolled Fairmont students are not eligible for this award; neither are students who win a 1st or 2nd place scholarship in the competition.)
*For 2020/21, families who are already enrolled at Fairmont SJC may apply for the merit scholarship program, but are only eligible for 1st and 2nd place awards.
*Scholarships may not be combined with any other awards (need-based or otherwise).
*Employees of Fairmont Schools are not eligible to apply for a scholarship award.
How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to Fairmont San Juan Capistrano
In order to be considered for the merit scholarship, prospective families must first submit an application for admission to Fairmont SJC. Please contact Audrey Foreman (firstname.lastname@example.org), SJC Admissions Director, to begin this process.
Step 2: Complete the SJC Excellence Merit Scholarship Application.
Prospective parents must complete this brief application for their child to be entered into the merit scholarship competition.
Step 3: Participate in the SJC Scholars Competition
On August 4, 2020, Fairmont SJC will host a virtual event (Zoom call/internet connection and Zoom access required) where scholarship applicants will:
- Write a timed essay, which will be monitored online by Fairmont team members
- Complete an interview with a panel of judges comprised of leaders from the San Juan Capistrano community, who will be the sole judges of the competition and will ultimately determine the recipients of the awards.
- Fairmont SJC admissions application deadline: July 30
- Scholarship application deadline: July 30
- Timed essay: August 4 — A Zoom call will be scheduled from 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
- Interview: August 4 — A 5 – 10 minute Zoom call will be scheduled for each participant with the panel of judges. Interview appointment times will be emailed to participants on July 31. We strongly encourage you to keep the entire day free on August 4, since we will be unable to change scheduled interview times.
- Award notification: scholarship award recipients will be notified via parent email August 7
Expectations of Scholars and Their Families
Award recipients will be expected to maintain 2.5 GPA and exhibit behavior that embodies the Fairmont Code. Students and parents alike will serve as ambassadors of Fairmont SJC, both on and off campus, when schedules permit. They also agree to allow Fairmont Schools to use their names and images in school promotional materials.
The SJC Excellence Merit Scholarship program is sponsored by the Orange County Education Foundation.
- Fairmont was founded in 1953 by a former public school educator who believed high expectations and individualized instruction could take students further.
- Fairmont now has five Orange County campuses, educating students from preschool through high school, and partners with schools around the world through our international programs.
- Fairmont’s educational program balances time-honored fundamentals with innovative approaches to learning, balancing intellectual growth with social and emotional wellbeing.
- We employ caring, passionate educators, who participate in thoughtful training and mandatory yearly evaluation. Fairmont teachers thrive in classrooms where students want to learn and stop at nothing to provide their students with everything they need to succeed.
- Students receive one-on-one guidance to help them discover unique strengths and talents. They are empowered to grow through a wide array of arts, athletics, and special programs like robotics, and speech and debate.
- Our educational community thrives on a growth mindset. We believe in the rewards of working hard, taking risks, and never giving up.
- We celebrate our diverse campus communities where a spirit of teamwork and mutual respect brings us together and propels us forward to make a difference in the world.