Can you feel that weird mix of stress, relief, anticipation, and worry? It can only mean one thing–that finals are coming soon and there is a major break on the horizon. Fairmont Prep students are coming up on quiet days next week where no new tests or assignments are given. Students are given the chance to review for their finals in all of their courses and to turn in those last few assignments they somehow “forgot.” Teachers are putting the last touches on their finals and finalizing the grading on those last papers they the somehow “forgot.” It is a time for those end of the year parties and gatherings to be able to take a break from the little bit of chaos that a student can feel.
So how can students ensure that they will do the best they can on their finals? We love a good list, so let’s start one, shall we?
- Relax. It’s tough, we get it. But freaking yourself out about it is not going to help.
- Trust in yourself. You’ve been in that class all semester. You’ve done the homework. You listened to the teachings. You’ve got this!
- Be mindful of yourself. Is an extra hour of studying worth not sleeping? It seems unlikely.
- Rest and be rested. Taking a test on no sleep is not a good idea. Go about your regular routine.
- Ask for help. This is the last chance you have to get clarification from your teachers, so go ask them questions.
- Work in groups. Create study groups–others may have a good way to remember something or can explain it in a different way. Remember that you are not competing with your peers here.
- Don’t get stuck on the things you don’t know. Move on to the things you do know and come back to the ones that are stumping you. No worth losing potential points by trying to solve something impossible.
- Breathe! It will be over soon. Just breathe.
And once it is all done, go out and celebrate. Treat yourself a little bit, you’ve earned. Good luck out there Huskies!