Thankfully, the specter of COVID isn’t looming quite as large this Halloween as it has over the past two. And you know what that means? We can once again engage in all of the time-honored traditions of this wickedly fun holiday – from trick or treating to carving jack-o-lanterns to going on scavenger hunts. And if you want to conjure up a truly spook-tacular time, don’t forget to include the candy!
This year, Americans are expected to spend $3.1 billion dollars on Halloween candy. That’s one big sugar rush! What are your family’s favorite confectionary treats? Keep reading to see how they line up with 2022’s top ten-ranked Halloween candies.
And the winners are — drum roll, please!
10. Butterfinger – It’s hard to go wrong when you slather layers of crispy peanut butter with chocolate. A nostalgic favorite, kids may want to hide these from mom and dad.
9. Twix -This one is so good that McDonald’s created a McFlurry with it. The downside: You’ll have to travel across the pond, all the way to the U.K. to get one.
8. Kit Kat – While worthy of making the top ten list in its own right, Kit Kat’s true claim to fame may be it’s catchy jingle – “Give me a break, give me a break … break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar.” (Are you singing along?)
7. Hot Tamales – With their cinnamon punch, Hot Tamales pack a little extra “trick” in your trick-or-treat. Prepare for your tongue to tingle and turn ruby red.
6. Hershey Bar – As the old saying goes, “There’s a smile in every Hershey bar.” And chances are … there’s milk chocolate all over that smile!
5. Sour Patch Kids – First they’re sour, then they’re sweet. These chewy treats will have your salivary glands working overtime. Beyond that, they’re so darn cute!
4. Skittles – Contrary to what your kids might want you to believe, Skittles do NOT constitute a “fruit serving.” But don’t let that keep you from including them in your Halloween goodies.
3. Snickers – Nougat + peanuts + caramel + chocolate = sheer perfection! Want to take it up a notch? Stick them in the freezer before you eat them (but don’t tell your dentist).
2. M&Ms – Having a tough day? Pop a handful of these colorful confections in your mouth and things are bound to look up! Since it’s Halloween, why not give the Creepy Cocoa Crisp M&Ms a try?
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – All TREAT and no trick here … according to a study conducted by Monmouth University, over one-third of Americans named Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups as their favorite Halloween candy. It’s the ultimate party in your mouth.
How many of your favorites landed on the 2022 top ten Halloween candy list? Let us know by leaving a comment below.