COVID tried to take some of the “Boo!” out of Halloween and turn it into a “boo-hoo.” With the Delta variant still an issue and children under 12 not yet eligible for the vaccine, some families are looking for safe alternative ways to celebrate. Regardless of what activities you choose to take part in, make sure to keep some tried and true Halloween traditions in place … especially the candy!
Last year, Americans spent $2.5 billion dollars on Halloween candy. That’s one big sugar rush! What are your family’s favorite confectionary treats? Keep reading to see how they line up with the top ten-ranked Halloween candies.
And the winners are — drum roll, please!
10. Nerds – Once voted Candy of the Year by the National Candy Wholesale Association, this rock-like treat is lauded for its “total flavor chaos.” It gets extra points for its crunch factor.
9. Butterfinger – It’s hard to go wrong when you slather layers of crispy peanut butter with chocolate. A nostalgic favorite, kids may want to hide these from mom and dad.
8. Hershey Bar – As the old saying goes, “There’s a smile in every Hershey bar.” And chances are … there’s milk chocolate all over that smile!
7. Twix -This one is so good that McDonald’s created a McFlurry with it. The downside: You’ll have to travel all the way to the U.K. to get one.
6. Kit Kat – While worthy of making the top ten list in its own right, Kit Kat’s true claim to fame may be it’s catchy jingle – “Give me a break, give me a break … break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar.” (Are you singing along?)
5. Sour Patch Kids – First they’re sour, then they’re sweet. These chewy treats will have your salivary glands working overtime. Beyond that, they’re so darn cute!
4. Snickers – Nougat + peanuts + caramel + chocolate = sheer perfection! Want to take it up a notch? Stick them in the freezer before you eat them (but don’t tell your dentist).
3. Skittles – Contrary to what your kids might want you to believe, Skittles do NOT constitute a “fruit serving.” But don’t let that keep you from including them in your Halloween goodies.
2. M&Ms – Having a tough day? Pop a handful of these colorful confections in your mouth and things are bound to look up! Since it’s Halloween, why not give the Creepy Cocoa Crisp M&Ms a try?
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – All TREAT and no trick here … according to a study conducted by Monmouth University, over one-third of Americans named Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups as their favorite Halloween candy. It’s the ultimate party in your mouth.
How many of your favorites landed on the 2021 top ten Halloween candy list? Let us know by leaving a comment below.